The Hate - S.L. Pierce
"Revenge is sweet and not fattening" - Alfred Hitchcock

Lisa Mills lost her daughter Amy to Ray Smutres, a registered sex offender. at the trial, Ray is acquitted of the crime. in a fit of rage, Lisa drives her car into Ray's home and attacks him. Ray screams attempted murder and will only drop charges on one condition - Lisa must commit herself to stay at a mental hospital. she acquiesces to the demand. then Lisa disappears without a trace. a year later, those who prey on the innocent start showing up dead.
S.L. Pierce is a writer to watch. her protagonist Lisa simply puts blood splatter pattern expert Dexter Morgan to shame.
as a bonus, she includes another short story about revenge. initially, i thought it was a follow up to the previous one but both are unrelated. The Manhunt deals with another woman on the run for killing the most powerful leader in the world. i totally loved this one as well!
i could not believe how these short stories affected me so much. i was blown off my seat when i was done reading them. i literally had to pause and catch my breath. they were gritty, raw and very visceral. i was so impressed with the writing that i turned to Google for more information about the author.
i really hope that S.L. Pierce stays on top form with her future work. she definitely made a lasting impression on me with The Hate and The Manhunt.

Disclosure of Material Connection: i purchased this book at Smashwords through a coupon provided by the author. i did not receive any payment in exchange for this review nor was I obligated to write a positive one. all opinions expressed here are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, the book's publisher and publicist or the readers of this review. this disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.